There are many ways of encountering Mountain Gorillas at the cheapest means possible. Mountain Gorilla safaris are done in Uganda, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo. National Parks hosting Mountain Gorillas include:
- Volcanoes National Park – Rwanda
- Virunga National Park – Democratic Republic of Congo
- Mgahinga Gorilla National Park – Uganda
- Bwindi Impenetrable National Park – Uganda
In this article, let us asses the possible ways of going on a low priced gorilla safari in Uganda, Rwanda or DR Congo. What makes a cheap trip depends on the distance, the cost of gorilla permit, the price of accommodation, fair quotations from different tour operators among others.
Currently, Rwanda gorilla permit cost US$1500, Uganda at US$700 while DRC cost US$400 so, travelers at low budget can wisely choose Gorilla trekking in Democratic Republic of Congo to save big.
- Self-driving is another way of cutting the prices. Here, you just need to hire a car and then drive to the gorilla park. Self – drive saves driver cost.
- Book budget accommodation in case your budget is low. Budget accommodation charges pocket friendly prices compared to Mid-range and Luxury accommodation.
- Book a short trip – 1 day Gorilla tour in Rwanda, Uganda or DRC is ideal. Short trip saves the travelers from high cost of accommodation, car charges and so on.
- Travel in low season – low season results into low travelers turn up. During this period, accommodation cut off prices, tour operators offer pocket friendly prices and so on.
- Visit multiple parks – Rwanda offers discounted gorilla permits for travelers who visit more than one National Park and spend at least 2 nights in each park. While in Rwanda, target to visit Volcanoes National Park (Home of mountain Gorillas), add on a visit to Nyungwe National Park or Akagera National Park.
- Join scheduled gorilla tours – Some tour companies set scheduled gorilla trip for groups and once you confirm your slot, you are entitled to a cheap gorilla safari.
- Get other people to join – they can be relatives or friend to share transport cost and accommodation thus reducing safari costs.
- Trek Gorillas in Democratic Republic of Congo – DRC is the cheapest destination as far as gorilla trekking is concerned. Currently, the cost of Gorilla permit in DRC is US$400 compared to that of Rwanda at US$1500 and Uganda at US$700.
- Use public transport to reach the gorilla parks – public transport seems to be cheaper than customized private transport. You just need to buy a gorilla permit and then use public transport to reach the gorilla park – trek Gorillas and leave the park.
Gorilla trekking is a life time event which every one should enjoy before death however; some people argue that the cost of gorilla permit is too high.