Rwanda a small rich country of unusual imaginations and unfound creativity greatly influenced by culture dance performance prides it excellent in cultural tourism across the region. Apart from cultural group performances the country portrays its rich culture through hand weaved baskets, cultural wears, traditional ceremonies and pottery. The country also has open boundaries to culture that what is in the city is also in remote villages and is much similar to that of the late ancestors.
Rwanda Traditions and Culture
Music and dance play an important role in the traditions of all Rwanda’s peoples .The Rwandan people have a variety of music and dance which range from acts that demonstrate epics commemorating excellence and bravery, humorous lyrics to hunting root. Traditional songs are often accompanied by a solitary lulunga, a harp-like instrument with eight strings. More celebratory dances are backed by a drum orchestra, which typically comprises seven to nine members, and collectively produce a hypnotic and exciting explosion set of intertwining rhythms.
A wide range of traditional handicrafts is produced in rural Rwanda, ranging from ceramics and basketry to traditional woodcarvings and contemporary paintings. A good selection of crafted artifacts can be seen in the main market or street stalls in Kigali. A distinctively Rwandan craft is the cow dung ‘paintings’ that are produced by a local co-operative in the village of Nyakarimbi near the Rusumo Falls border with Tanzania. Dominated by black, brown and white whorls and other geometric abstractions, these unique and earthy works can be bought in Kigali, but it’s worth diverting to source to see how the paintings are reflected in local house decorations.
National Museum at Butare
The most prominent tourist attraction in Butare is the superb National Museum, which houses perhaps the finest ethnographic collection in East Africa. Absorbing displays of traditional artifacts are illuminated by a fascinating selection of turn-of-the-century monochrome photographs, providing insight not only into pre-colonial lifestyles, but also into the subsequent development of Rwanda as a modern African state.
Best Cultural Experiences
- Tourists experience exciting first hand cultural experience in every Rwanda cultural tour done in any part of the country. Get exclusive Africa cultural experience full of deep insight on the main royal palace personalities and duties show cased by Rwanda exhibited by the whole traditional cultural setting. In Rwanda you can experience culture in many aspects, visiting well set Cultural villages Iby’wacu, local community women projects , cultural tours to main cultural site-the Kings palace and through culture dance entertainments. Culture is everywhere but its very interesting when you experience it especially at Iby’wacu Cultural Village in Musanze former Ruhengeri and at the same time a home to the Mountain Gorilla’s-Volcanoes National park.
- Lucky visitors have a chance to see spontaneous traditional performances in the villages of Rwanda. The finest exponent of Rwanda’s varied and dynamic traditional musical and dance styles is the Intore Dance Troupe. A more modern form of Rwandan music is the upbeat and harmonious devotional singing that can be heard in any church service around the country.
- More often tourists on different Rwanda tours take cultural tour excursions after fulfilling the main reason for their travel like the mountain gorilla tracking especially a visit to the Iby’wacu cultural village after tracking mountain gorilla.
- Others chose to visit village culture performance groups to be entertained instead of spending an afternoon chilling at their lodge of residence. The first impression of culture is at different lodging where lodge rooms and restaurants are built using local materials and decorated in cultural aspects.
- Some lodges have culture entertainment groups available to keep guests happy as a way of raising and preserving the country’s culture for the future generation especially at Mountain Gorilla view lodge.
- There is also attractive Art & Craft market in Kigali. Other cultural attractions and sites are in Nyanza making Rwanda the land of Unique cultural values. The Rwanda people are down to earth and provide foreign visitors with all the necessary answers and presentations regarding culture.
Tourists try to imitate their lifestyle especially the role of the king & the Queen, the cultural wears, women duties of grinding and drum performances. Sometimes visitors perform the cultural roles better than the Rwanda locals a good impression which make locals to preserve their culture even more. People and culture are critical for any traveler to know some eccentric background to their travel destinations and how events have modeled the way people live together besides the morals and norms. Don’t miss out o taste the Rwanda locally prepared dishes at your stunning overnight lodge or village visited. Place in a special meal request early enough in order to give the lodging facility ample time to make it ready that is if they don’t prepare it at all. Wonderful things happen on our way through as we explore the world but Rwanda culture has all about the African culture.
Music Dance & Drama
- It should be noted that traditional music and dance is a vital component of the Rwanda people. Natives have a variety of music and dance associated with acts and performance that demonstrates epics commemorating bravery, harmony and humorous lyrics to hunting root. Musical instruments accompanying traditional songs include; a harp-like instrument with eight (8) strings and the Lilunga whereas eminent celebratory dances are backed by a drum; , Orchestra; comprising of seven (&) to nine (9) members who produce a hypnotic and thrilling sounds of organized rhythms.
- The most popular traditional dance troupe is the “Intore Dance Troupe.” The word Intore means the chosen one’s, it was established centuries ago and once performed for the Royal court; currently their memorable performance can be arranged upon a short notice through the National museum at Butare.
- Crafted handicrafts also contribute to richness of the country’s culture.